Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A New Direction

I've been working on a new idea for the last couple of weeks. My creativity has not been quenched by using pre-printed papers, so I decided to focus on making my own. I'm still going to continue my line of Classic journals, but I'm expanding into new creative territory! If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know I'm rarely satisfied with doing the same thing. I like to change it up.
So here it is...one of my newest creations...a sneak peak as it hasn't even been listed yet. This is my Morning Sun Dragonfly Journal.

I've used handmade paper, not made by me--this time. I'm working on that--it's just so messy I'm waiting for the right time to do it when my toddler isn't around! He'd LOVE to "help" Mommy make paper! I have plans with my artsy friend down the street to take an afternoon one day soon to dive into that project.

I used watercolors for the background wash, acrylic paint for the stamped flourishes (Heidi Swapp), and a dragonfly stamp (Above the Mark). I painted the dragonfly in blue and green to resemble a darner dragonfly.

One of the reasons this project (which encompases about 6 journals) took me two weeks to complete is the fact that I was consumed with researching copyright policies from the stamp companies whose images I've used. Some companies state their policy right on their websites; others take a lot more research. I've even made contact with several companies that have gone out of business, but there are still others for whom I cannot find any contact info, so I won't be using their stamps.

When a company says they have an "angel policy", this means you are free to use their stamps on any handmade project, even for resale. Some companies claim to have an angel policy but after reading all the fine print, I discovered it was more like a "demon" policy! You can use their stamps for items you plan to sell, but only at craft shows, church bazaars, or locally. You can't sell in a fixed retail location, over the internet, or if there's a full moon. I'm joking about that last one, but you get my point! Some of these companies with the tricky angel policies are Anna Griffin, Autumn Leaves (clear stamps sold at Target), Close to My Heart, and Hero Arts. They certainly won't be getting any more of my business.

Among artists and crafters, the most common misconception I've come across is "I bought it, I can do whatever I want with it". Yes, in the privacy of your own home--not if you plan to resell it! The world of copyright law is very confusing and you almost have to be a lawyer to understand it all. Even within the field of copyright law there seems to be a lot of confusion.

Be aware that angel companies cannot give permission for their designer or licensed character lines because those characters are owned by someone else. For example, Stampabilites states on their website they are an angel company, but you cannot use their Peanuts, Sesame Street, House Mouse, or any other licensed character stamps.
Stick with the angel companies, get it from them in writing, and you should be safe!

1 comment:

Julia said...

WOW! This is quite the journey for you! There's so much information here, I need to run through this again...

Whew!

By the way, GREAT journal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...