Friday, December 3, 2010

Holiday Decor for Mantles

Every year I try to come up with a new idea for decorating my mantle. The last several years I haven't done garland at all (because I used all my Command hooks for the stockings and didn't have any left to hang the garland from!).

When I saw these twigs with ornaments hanging from them in the December issue of Country Living the light bulb went off. Of course, perhaps it was the announcement on the page "bright idea!" which gave me a clue, heh heh!

My problem though is that I live in new construction where trees are scarce. The few trees I have are twigs themselves! So I raided the neighbor's wax myrtle bushes. Don't tell him. (They were hanging over my fence anyhow.)

The wax myrtles have the prettiest little purplish grey berries on them. (Not the gold ones, those are fake berries from Michaels!) 

The leaves were impeding the view of the berries, and besides, it looked like a jungle with the leaves on. So I stripped all the leaves off down to the bare branches. 

My family thought I was crazy as I stood in the kitchen with a mound of leaves all over the counter and the floor. I get a lot of, "WHAT are you doing NOW?" questions every time I start a project. You'd think they'd have a little more faith in me, geesh!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...